Herds Competition 2007:
The second herd competition which is judged on a club basis over the summer & autumn months was another tremendous success. The herd size categories were divided into small herds 5-12 breeding females, medium herds 13-30 breeding females and large herds 30 plus breeding females. The judges awarded points on a number of areas including genetic indices, health & condition of cattle, docility; knowledge & interest in own herd, Limousin breed and conformity to breed type. This year saw special prizes for best bull calf, best heifer calf and best group of calves born in 2006.
Many thanks to our judges Mr. Ian Nattress of the Greenwell Herd in the U.K. and Mr. Victor Woods of Greenmount College in Northern Ireland who agreed to judge at very short notice.
Small Herd Size:
- 1st: Gerard Walsh, Derrygullinane Herd
- 2nd: Padraig Golden, Clew Bay Herd
- 3rd: Martin Doherty, Liss Herd
Medium Herd Size
- 1st: Paul Sykes, Cavelands Herd
- 2nd: Tom Feehan, Cross Herd
- 3rd: Michael Gunn, Ovaun Herd
- 4th: Pat Bruen, Carrowreagh Herd
- Best bull born in 2006: Cavelands Beano, Paul Sykes
- Best heifer born in 2006: Derrygullinane Catherine, Gerry Walsh
- Best group of calves: Clew Bay Herd, Padraig Golden