We held 3 club meetings during the year with reasonable attendance. Speakers included Richard Collins (Secretary ILCS) and Paul Sykes Breed Development Officer. Paul spoke on their trip to France and on the bulls currently available to the Irish market.
The club attempted to organise a trip to Northern Ireland, however there were not enough people interested to make it viable. Some club members did travel independently and thoroughly enjoyed the trip, especially the open day on the Ardes Peninsula, which stocked mostly Limousin cows on 1,000 acres of land. They have their own butcher shop on the farm and are currently killing 40 heifers weekly. One of the stock bulls on the farm is from the Moloskey Herd of Brendan Clancy.
Our calf final was held at Ennis Show. The results are as follows:
- September born Heifer: Declan Griffin
- September born Bull: John Mc Inerney
- January born Heifer: Brendan Clancy
- January born Bull: Brian Killeen.
The competition was judged by Frank Buckley.
In the Herds Competition, the winners were as follows:
- Small Herd - Joint 1st Michael Mc Inerney, Kevin Mc Inerney
- Medium Herd - 1st John Mc Inerney, 2nd Maurice Carroll, 3rd David Linnane
- Large Herd - 1st Michael Sexton.
- Best bull born in ’08: Ardchoill Dandy Kevin Mc Inerney
- Best Heifer born in ’08: Drummin Dervla John Mc Inerney
- Best Group of calves John Mc Inerney
The competition was judged by David Kelly form Cumbria, who subsequently wrote to our chairman thanking the club for the hospitality shown, and commented very favourably on the quality of cattle presented.
The officers elected for 2010 are
- Chairman: Michael Sexton
- Secretary: Frances Moroney
- Treasurer: John Joe O’ Sullivan
- PRO: John Shannon.